Sunday’s call for hearty food, relaxed vibes and positive thoughts.
Imagine tucking into a meal that’s really tasty and isn’t expensive to make. This beef casserole is exactly that, tasty beef chunks, lots of vegetables and a rich gravy. Wonderful.
What we used (makes four portions):
- 400g beef chunks (£2.25 from a local supermarket)
- 300g/1 large leek (£1.90 for 1kg, 57p)
- 400g/ 4 unwashed red potatoes (£5 for 12 kg, 16p)
- 300g/4 carrots (40p per kg, 13p)
- 50g/2 celery sticks (14p)
- 3 tsps jarred garlic (£1 per jar, 9p)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pinch of dried chives, sage, thyme
- 800ml beef stock
Easy cooking method:
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Brown the meat chunks in an large ovenproof pan.
- Add the leek, celery and seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes on a low heat, make sure you mix all the flavours together.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and stock. Mix in well.
- Place the ovenproof pan in the oven with the lid firmly on. Cook for 30 minutes.
Total cost: £3.34
Cost per serve: £0.835