Egg fried rice is a classic Chinese side dish and very popular here in the UK.
This evening my family and myself had Sweet and Sour Chicken (which was a pre-made sauce) with some homemade egg fried rice. It wa actually a lot easier to make than I remembered, and I combined loads of recipe ideas together to make a tasty side dish.
You will need (serves 4/6):
- 1 1/2-2 cups of rice
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 200g peas, cooked
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves/ 2tsp dried garlic
Making the rice dish:
- Boil your rice in 3/4 cups of water depending on wether you used 1 1/2 or 2 cups of rice. The water must be at boiling temperature already. Once the rice is boiling, turn it down and let it simmer/boil for ten minutes.
- Set the rice aside to evaporate some of the moisture from the grains. Some recipes tell you to leave it to cool entirely but this isn’t actually necessary.
- Next, heat some oil, preferably sesame, in a wok. Once got add the three beaten eggs and cook as if you were making scrambled eggs, continuously moving the mixture around. Just before they are cooked, remove them from the pan and onto a plate.
- Clear the egg out of the oak and add some more oil. Fry the rice, Stirring all the time, for two to three minutes.
- Then add the scrambley eggs. Mix it in well and break it up throughout. Then add the peas and spring onions.
- Serve with the dish of your choice and enjoy.