Got loads of left over fish from mid week? Fancy something warming yet kinda healthy? Something different for dinner tomorrow? Look no further. This fish pie is so tasty, and it’s practically guilt free. Fish is always healthy, right?
You will need:
- 600g of mixed fish, preferably one smoked, some salmon and another chunky fish
- 200g prawns, cut in half if they are some bigger ones
- 800g potatoes, peeled and chopped for mashing
- 2 leeks, peeled and diced
- 100g margerine (or butter), half for the mash, half for the white sauce
- 50g flour,sieved
- 650ml milk, 50ml of which is for the mash
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 100g cheese, preferably a creamy mild one
- 1 medium egg
- Pepper and salt to taste
Making the pie:
- Boil your potatoes in a large pan. Meanwhile, make your white sauce using the all in one method or by first making a roux with the margerine and flour, then adding 600ml of milk. Season with salt, pepper and parsley to taste.
- The white sauce will thicken after a few minutes, turn it down to a low heat. Add half of the fish, I used haddock, smoked haddock and salmon.
- Cook for a few minutes, the salmon will have gone a slightly pale shade of pink and the fish will begin to break apart. Then add the prawns and leek.
- The sauce will have thickened and bubbles will appear across it. Allow the prawns and leeks to cook and soften. I used cooked prawns but if your using raw ones they will take about 3 minutes to cook through.
- In this time you can strain your potatoes and mash them. Use 50ml of milk, 50g of margerine. Once mashed, add half of the cheese with the egg. This will make the mash extra light and fluffy.
- Add the rest of the fish to the mixture. Give it a little stir and it’s ready to put into your dishes ready for baking. By adding half of the fish at the end you will have whole chunks of fish as well as flaked ones.
- Put the sauce mix into dishes and add the mash to the top. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese and parsley.
- Bake for 25/30 minutes in a preheated oven at 200oC/Gas 5. Serve with some yummy vegetables.