When I was sweet sixteen I imagined my future self as a twenty-something guru; I wanted to be good at everything and have life falling at my feet. Unfortunately, this hasn’t exactly happened. But it’s not a bad thing- because not everyone else my age has it all together either.
I’m 23, so I’ve settled into my 20’s and I can imagine the way my future seems to be heading- and this is what I’ve discovered you might discover in your twenties.
- At 16, you think you’ll have a super-swag flat in your twenties. Reality, you’re still living with your parents, or you live in a decent sized box, or shared house. It’s okay though, I love my brother falling asleep on me.
- You think you’ll have a fantastic, fast-paced and exciting job. This hasn’t exactly happened for me- I mean I’m pleased I got to become a supervisor at work- but seeing all you people with fabulous jobs makes me a little jealous.
- You reckon you will have a cool car and all your friends will be hitching a ride. My reality is that only two of my friends can drive- it was cool at first- now I want to have my own car. It’s not cool asking your grandad for a lift all the time. He is an incredible person though.
- You think you’re friends will have super cool jobs too. I be honest, all my friends jobs are relatively cool. In my group I have nurses, computer wiz kids, a kitchen assistant, a nursery nurse and a racer. Now that’s super cool! Photo pinched from said friend.
- You think you’ll have some amazing memories. You do. Keep on making them.
- You hope you’ll have gone to some awesome places. Try your best to do this, my favourite place I’ve been- China. Do it.
- You reckon you’ll still be friends with all the same people. You’re probably not. But those you are still friends with, will mean the world to you.
- You think you’ll be partying like a hardcore rocker every weekend. My reality- I still don’t know my limits and am regularly sent home to sleep it off.
- You think you’ll have really awesome interests. In all honesty you just really love your cat. And you’re family- they’re pretty awesome too. My cat is just perfect and anyone who disagrees is just wrong.
- You think you’ll lead the most exciting life ever. Really you just like baths, scented candles and baking. As a stereotype of course…
So, it’s okay to be making your own way in life. Things changed, keep winging it- you’re doing great.