Another tasty accompaniment for your Christmas Day dinner. This can be made now and frozen in advance for the big day.
Betty was the late partner of my Grandad, and this recipe is an important part of our Christmas Day meal.
You will need:
4 small apples, finely sliced or grated
2 small onions, finely sliced or grated
1 small red cabbage, finely shredded, without the white core
150ml red wine
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
How to make it:
- Shred or grate your fruit and vegetables (peel the apple before hand). Melt the butter in a heavy-based pan.
- Cook the red cabbage, apple and onion for a few minutes on a medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar and spices and allow to absorb fully. Your kitchen will smell like Christmas at this point.
- Then lower the heat and cook for about half an hour, with the pan lid on, until the cabbage is tender. The apple will barely be visible if at all, leaving a sweet apple and red wine glaze to the cabbage.
- You can eat it straight away or leave to cool before freezing. Delicious!