It’s the season to be spooky and with Halloween just three days away here’s an easy spook-tastic cake recipe.
You will need:
For the buns:
125g butter, softened
125g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
125g self-raising flour
Green food colouring
200g icing sugar, sifted
Black and orange food colouring
To make the Halloween treat:
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Cream the butter and sugar using an electric whisk. Add the eggs once they are bundled together.
- Slowly sift the flour into the mix. Beating continuously until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Once the cake mix is made, add about 3/5 pea sized blobs of food colouring to the mixture. And mix once more.
- Spoon the mixture into a pre lined baking tray. I used green bun cases to match the colour of the buns. Put them into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Once cooked, allow them to cool for fifteen minutes. Meanwhile, make the icing mix according to the manufacturers guidelines. You need to make orange/yellow icing, white icing, green icing and a small amount of black icing for decorating.
- You will find that you can make a variety of different icings, I chose to make white ghosts, orange pumpkins and green monsters. You could also use red icing for cartoon-like vampires or perhaps purple bats?
- When spreading the icing, I used a small spreading knife and made a circular motion around the top of the cake. To make the detail work I used a cocktail stick.
- Enjoy your ghoulishly green treats.