Leftover food often gets wasted, or just eaten cold. Why not spruce up your leftover gammon or ham with some pasta bake?
Yesterday I used some ham, mushrooms and a little broccoli, with a white sauce and made a pasta bake.
You will need:
300/400g leftover gammon/ham
150g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
(Leftover broccoli or corn if desired)
50g cheese, grated
Making the bake:
- Melt the butter along with the flour, in a wide based pan. This will create a ‘roux’, which is like a binding of the butter and flour.
- Add the milk in stages, at each adding whisk the roux in and see how it thickens the milk. While this is happening, boil the pasta.
- Once you have a nice even consistency, add the mushrooms. Cook for round 3 minutes.
- Add the ham and broccoli, if desired.
- Check the pasta is cooked and drain. Add this to the sauce and sprinkle over the grated cheese. You could use Parmesan, cheddar or mozzarella for a tasty topping.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown on top and enjoy.